Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tenggol Smenggol

Tenggol Island

“The Tenggol group of islands is the most southernly of Terengganu's Marine Parks. It consists of Pulau Tenggol (Tenggol Island), Pulau Nyireh, Tokong Timur, Tokong Burung and Tokong Talang/Tokong Kemudi, Tokong Laut.

Cited as “The Best Diving in Peninsular Malaysia” Asian Diver Magazine 2002 Annual Edition.

Pulau Tenggol lies 14 nautical miles (26 km) off the coast of quiet fishing town of Kuala Dungun, Terengganu, Malaysia. This rocky island about 50 hectares in size, spans less than 3 kilometres in length and 2 kilometres at its widest point, is one of the most beautiful and serene islands off Peninsular Malaysia's east coast, with spectacular rocky cliffs that offer many excellent dive sites. One of the island’s attractions is that it is close to its original state. A virgin island with its white sandy beaches backed by steeply forested cliffs is a pleasant retreat away from the city. Activities range from snorkelling, scuba diving, jungle trekking or just basking under the sun on the white sandy beach.

At Pulau Tenggol, divers and snorkellers alike can find pristine coral formations and a number of submerged rocks with excellent coral growths. Tenggol and its surrounding islands offer good visibility with teeming of marine life, including sharks, rays, nudibranch and a wide variety of hard and soft corals. Divers will discover that Tenggol offers great diving experiences, ranging from deep diving, drift diving and wreck dive for the advanced divers or experienced divers. The fantastic shallow dives are great for the least experienced divers or just for the experienced to off gas.”

Tenggol has always had a special place in my heart. It held fond memories during my time as an Open Water Diver. 2004 was my 1st time experience diving in Tenggol. At that time I could honestly say it’s the most beautiful island I’ve ever been to. Before I jumped into the blue crystal water, I was told of stories of how the currents, surge and unpredictable things happen in Tenggol. It did freak me out. And it still does. I think that’s one of the perks and fascinating part about this island. The UNPREDICTABLE-NESS. The beautiful living corals and abundance of sea life was mind blowing. I was able to appreciate after my 5th dive and that was when I fell in deep love. Since that moment every year I will pack my gear bags and head off over there. I saw my 1st manta ray at Tutle Point and it just took my breath away! I had my 1st panic attack there. I had my 1st strong surface current experience (too close to the rocks). And recently for the 1st time I experienced the feeling of being swept away! That’s Tenggol!

On the 3rd of July 2010, I organised a trip to the island (1st time organising I tell ya!). 17 divers in total; 3 Open Water students, 2 Advance Open Water, the rest leisure divers and none of ‘em has ever set foot in Tenggol. So I was quite happy to organise this trip. For me to go to Tenggol, I usually go with someone who knows the island like the back of their hand and was happy that Mr. Robin Hood is around. I did the arrangements and by Saturday morning we were there.

The visibility was not that good, not that bad either, planktons everywhere. Was hoping to catch a glimpse of whale shark but to no avail. But i was so sadden by the condition of the corals. Apparently coral bleaching has been going on around the east coast of Malaysia destroying 40% of the soft and hard corals. I took a picture of a clownfish and its bleached anemone. It was terrible!

Currents never seem to fail me in Tenggol. 1st dive on the 2nd day was when I experienced being swept away. Was with my 2 other buddies and off we went almost 200m away from the reef. Exciting, scared, panic and anything that you can think of, was what I felt at that moment. But all three of us were alright. Thank god! The last couple of dives were more relaxed. Nudibranches sightings got me excited. I love taking pictures of those cute tiny creatures and was happy to found few I’ve never seen.

All and all the entire trip was a huge success. Everyone had fun and manage to get to know each other. Tenggol Island Resort did an awesome job taking care of us. As always I was sad to leave but have already started planning my return in September. Tenggol OH Tenggol!.....

p/s: i baked a cake for my friend Rashid. My 1st time trying out cake decorating.... came out not bad huh. :P










1 comment: