Sunday, October 17, 2010

MY JOURNEY AS A CAKE DECORATOR (part 8: 1st Wedding cake)

I received a call from the wedding planner extraordinaire i.e. Mel Majid and she enquired whether I’m up to doing a 2-tier wedding cake. I can honestly say I was sceptical with the whole idea. But I said to myself that I won’t get this kind of opportunity and making some $$$ at the same time. I told Mel to meet me the next day so I can do a bit of homework. The bride and groom wanted 2-tier cake with a modern contemporary feel to it. Elegant with pink and green colour theme. I found few cake samples from the internet which I like and goes hand-in-hand with my vision of the wedding cake. I sketch few ideas and met up with Mel the next day. At the end of our brainstorming session I came up with this.
It took me 24 hours to make this cake (no I’m not lying). My freezer was not big enough to stuff two 14” cakes. What I did was after baking the cakes I wrapped it with cling film so that it will seal in the moisture. Now I miscalculated few things such as picking up the 14” cake and stacking it together. I almost break both cakes!!!! For the fillings I made lemon buttercream flavour. After I crumb coat the cakes it took quite some time to get it crusted up. By that time it was almost 10pm. So I figured I should try and sleep and wake up early to start decorating the cakes. But I couldn’t really sleep. Started working on the cakes at 2am and finished it around 7am. By 8am my SIL came to the house and help me deliver the cakes to the wedding reception.

The roses was prepared 4 days in advance

Overall I manage to please the wedding planner and the bride & groom. Oh yeah they said that the cake was delicious! YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment